Friday, July 31, 2009

The daily show ruined the Media ruined the News

I've been very bad in the last few- all right all my life- about getting the news from so called reliable sources. Its not really my fault though because I just like the news so much better when its funny. That's why I watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report and to be honest I never feel like I am missing anything. I do read the occasional Economist, New York Times and Newsweek, but I can't stand to watch some of the other news stations. Comedy central news shows me all the clips from important news items that seem ridiculous and I've seen so much that it makes me feel like all news stations report on every day is ridiculous. Otherwise, John Stewart's and Steven Colbert's jobs wouldn't be so easy and so...daily.
The recent episode I was watching for instance put the new health care reforms in terms I could understand while showing how the media had dramatized the plan. It is easier for me to understand genuine sarcasm than it is misleading breaking news.
I think the show also approaches ethical questions and deep issues that are more thematic than current, but just as relevant. The daily show doesn't try to impress with dramatic music, grave facial expressions and horrifying footage.
Anyway, before I continue gushing (because that's what I realized I am doing, instead of what I meant to do- analytically defending my generations news choice) I would just like to say that at least I know what's going on every day (or atleast 4 days a week). There are plenty of people who don't watch anything and though they are saved from propaganda, they will remain uninformed.



<3 Elegant Eggshell

No comments:

Post a Comment