Saturday, August 1, 2009

Very Barry

I'm getting pretty excited for college to start now... you know its just that lull where summer's luster begins to fade. I have been thinking of going to Magic Mountain, but other than that no major plans right now to entertain myself.
It also turns out that I am terrible at Guitar hero. I kind of wish DDR was still in style instead. Just when I got the hang of that game, it left the scene. Plus, DDR makes me feel a lot more active because at least I am dancing (using that word liberally) instead of just clicking buttons.
I guess I don't really have that much to say and am just typing out of boredom. Which means I am very close to entering into the black hole of things like googling people and photoshopping.
To curb my boredom I have been doing one productive thing- reading Obama's autobiography in which he talks about inheritance and race. It is pretty strange to read the thoughts on white and black from the President. Also weird to hear him talk about experimentation with drugs and his ambition. At many points, I realize that he wasn't always and arrugula eater and when caught off guard like when he remarked that the police acted stupidly concerning Gates, he reacts like the little kid who was acutely aware of his black skin. A leopard can't change his spots and all that. Its not really that big a deal because we have enough checks and ballances that one point of view can only add to our perspective. I definitely can say after reading this book though, that I have no idea what its like to be anything but a white middle class girl. Anyway, back to the book...
Mostly, when I am reading it, although it is beautifully written, it makes me feel that it is such a random trick of fate that he is destined for greatness. When reading about his everyday encounters, I think, "that man is giving a life lesson to the future Mr. President."
Weird!
His listless drifting for a large part of the book makes me marvel at how someone's calling may spring up so suddenly. I guess everyone feels the same looking outward from their skin.

<3 Ordinary Extra

No comments:

Post a Comment