Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Window to another World

I had a great time in San Francisco. The friend I was staying with took me to the heart of SF shopping, China town and some interesting museums. Pretty much everywhere we went was free either because she was a member or because the museum was government subsidized. I think its always good to look for what you can do as a tourist without spending money.
We even went to see the Bay Model, which is a pretty interesting thing. The main feature is a warehouse size recreation of the entire bay. You can walk from oakland to Sonoma and check out the size of the pacific ocean. It is kind of bizarre. The whole thing takes less than a half an hour to see, but we stayed about an hour because, to be honest, we were messing around a little and stopped to check out the amazing artwork in the Lobby.
My favorites attraction in Marin was the Sunday morning farmer's market. It is under a building where they filmed part of the old starwars movie-- and you can really tell from the arched butress type things framing the porthole like windows. The farmer's market was HUGE. It had everything from rose water to peaches, to pastries, to pizza, to huge carrots and even a bouncer at the end where children played. I was in awe. I ate a morning bun, which was sticky sweet and flaky with that hint of cinnamon. Then, I was seduced by the snow cones which are all organic or natural and made with ice shaved so thin that it doesn't have that annoying hardness to it. Best flavors in my opinion include mango, peach and cherry. Okay, so I didn't say that breakfast there was the healthiest thing ever, but it could be. I passed three completely vegan and healthy booths where they sold interesting breakfast items and things to take home. I bought some essence of Bay leaf, which not only smells good, but apparently has some interesting medicinal properties.
The family I was staying with stocked up on fresh fruit and vegetables and some hummus dip. I helped them by sampling the various foods to decide on the sweetest peaches. :)
We hiked the mountain trails, walked and shopped-- an enjoyable excercise. That night we steamed the bok chok, tossed the salad with fresh tomatoes and pinenuts and enjoyed our salmon.
<3 Healthier by Association

No comments:

Post a Comment