Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Ritz for Cheap

So, I am a woman of expensive tastes- well usually. I mean I love In-N-Out burger and hand-me-downs, but these are things that are inexpensive, not "cheap". I realized when I went to college, that my love of gourmet things and new leather smell would go unsatisfied for a while. There just isn't enough money to pay tuition and go on shopping sprees. I have recently come across some ways to help my self walk the fine line. These are my faves- hope you enjoy...

1 Restaurant.com --- Sign up for their emails and they will send you secret codes nearly every day that let you get $25 gift cards for as little as $2. Make sure you always read the fine print and check the menu prices and reviews. I have used 4 of these recently. One had horrible food! The rest had amazing food for prices that would have been unaffordable. With the coupon, I paid less than I would have in my dining hall. If you are ever in New York, get the coupon for Seven's Turkish food on 72nd street.

2. Groupon- A lot of the things they sell on groupon are overindulgent such as $5o tins of gourmet popcorn. The only way I can afford that is if its 90% off. However, there are some interesting deals as well. This year I bought a haircut, groceries from an organic store and 3 restaurant deals all for 50% off or slightly more. Since they send you a deal every day, its easy to stay informed and wait for a deal that actually speaks to you. Always think, " Is this something I have been looking for, but the money was holding me back?"

3. DailyCandy.com -- In my opinion this is definitely geared toward people with more money, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a ton of stuff on it that I can enjoy. It is a great way to hear about things going on in the city. I just recently went to an art show on their advice. Sipping free wine amongst intellectuals, portraits and landscapes isn't so bad. Also a good way to find out about sample sales!

4. Inside New York- iny.com ---- A review book gone .com, this website gives current reviews on everything from huge museum exhibits to the best and cheapest curry restaurant. The best thing is that all the contributors are starving students themselves so everything that is on there is totally affordable. I just recently went to a restaurant called By the Ounce on their recommendation and had the best fondue of my life!

That's all for now. Sorry for the absence and hope you start living the high life on the low dollar.

<3 stretching pennies

No comments:

Post a Comment