Friday, June 12, 2009

Hiking

So a friend of mine that I haven't seen in a long time says we should do something. I agree; She's a good friend and I have missed her. What I don't expect is when she says, "I would invite Katie, but she hurt her ankle last weekend". Yeah- because strolling down main street is an intense sport. Except for, she doesn't mean going to a movie or shopping or out for a night on the town, she actually does mean an intense sport (well not that intense, but you do get dirty). What now has replaced the norm girlfriends' date in my home town is apparently looking your most ponytail-and-hiking-boots and going for a two hour trek up some mountain. I don't understand... I know this is the Change and Green Obama age, but seriously? shed my sundress and sandals for an old t-shirt and khaki shorts?
I always thought hiking was something parents forced kids to do with them and the dog so that they could work off their office butt and get the kids tired out. Or else, an old vegan couple would go hiking to "experience" nature. Don't get me wrong, I have been hiking many times. Usually, when I am in some place renowned for its hikes, like Catalina Island or Yosemite. There its not really my idea and I do it because its beautiful and let's face it: what else are you gonna do?
I finally realized that the teenage self-involvement ends with high school. Hiking is a very mature thing to do and its a very college student thing to do. After all, Hiking:
1. doesn't cost money
2. Can be very social
3. Keeps off the freshman 15
4. Gets you a tan
5. Makes you feel accomplished
6. Gets you away from the books and the pressure (literally if you go too high)
7. Makes you appreciate things like the sky and air (and being dust free)

So why not? I hiked for the first time with my friends in this way and it was fun and different and it did make me feel better than a day in the mall with the tweens and the food court. New trend?

<3 HIking 4 now

No comments:

Post a Comment